“Understand and know your data, and don’t over-collect. If you’re worried about it—and all businesses who collect data should worry about these laws—engage a privacy professional and attorney.”
– Rebecca Rakoski
Rebecca Rakoski, Esq., is the co-founder and managing partner of XPAN Law Partners. A boutique domestic and international cybersecurity and data privacy law firm, XPAN Law is dedicated to global strategic thinking that reduces risk and leads businesses forward. Rebecca, an experienced litigator, is committed to counseling and defending public and private corporations and their boards during data breaches and has handled hundreds of matters in state and federal courts. She is also skilled in mitigating her clients’ litigation risks by managing the intersection of state, federal, and international regulations that impact the transfer, storage, and collection of data. She received her Juris Doctor from the Widener University School of Law.
Rebecca joins us today to discuss data privacy and why it’s critically important for small businesses to understand. She discusses the right to privacy and how the United States views it differently from other parts of the world. She explores state-level data privacy laws in the United States and describes how business practice should be done in states with data privacy laws. Rebecca also explains what access control policies are and why data privacy policies and practices need to evolve and be tailored to the needs of a business.
This week on Breaking Barriers:
- What data privacy is and why it’s important for small businesses to consider
- State-level privacy laws in the United States
- The importance of understanding the data you collect as a small business
- Why over-collecting and over-storing data should be avoided
- The first steps toward data privacy compliance
- The value of working with data privacy professionals and attorneys
- Access control policies and why data privacy policies and practices need to always evolve and change
- GDPR, data privacy, and personal data in the European Union
- Working with data privacy laws after a breach has occurred
Connect with Rebecca Rakoski:
- XPAN Law Partners
- XPAN Law Partners LLP on LinkedIn
- XPAN Law Partners LLP on Facebook
- XPAN Law Partners LLP on Twitter
- Rebecca Rakoski on LinkedIn
- Email: [email protected]
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.