Arthur Woods is a social entrepreneur, LGBTQ+ leader, and the Co-founder of Mathison, a venture-backed technology platform that describes itself as all-inclusive for diversity hiring and retention. He was listed in Forbes 30 Under 30 and 40 Under 40 by Business Equality Magazine. Arthur created the first Equal Hiring Index to assess and benchmark hiring practices based on inclusivity. Before starting Mathison, Arthur was part of Google’s YouTube Education division.
Arthur joins us to describe the importance of creating an inclusive culture for LGBTQ+ workers. He recounts the mental stresses he experienced as a gay person conforming to office cultures that didn’t understand his authentic self. He explains how Mathison was started and how he was influenced by Alan Turing. Arthur also discusses why most business leaders have mental health problems and how we can disrupt the status quo with vulnerability.
Topics discussed in this episode of Breaking Barriers, Building Hire Ground:
- How Arthur’s entrepreneur journey began
- When Arthur discovered he was gay
- Changing the behavior and mindset of our teams to reflect diversity
- How Alan Turing inspired Arthur to start Mathison
- The two pieces that make diversity possible
- Ensuring disabled people have equal access to job opportunities
- The cultural change and retention they support
- What to expect from a slower market
- Arthur’s thoughts on gender
- The challenges and opportunities that exist between mental health and DE&I
- Disrupting the status quo with vulnerability
- Why most entrepreneurs struggle with mental health
Connect with Arthur Woods:
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground.
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.