Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“Businesses are attacked twice: they are attacked when they get hacked and attacked again when they get sued.” – Rebecca Rakoski
Rebecca Rakoski, Esq., is the co-founder and Managing Partner at XPAN Law Partners, a boutique domestic and international cybersecurity and data privacy law firm. XPAN Law is committed to global strategic thinking that reduces risk and leads businesses forward. Rebecca is an experienced litigator who has handled hundreds of matters in state and federal courts and has counseled and defended public and private corporations and their boards during data breaches. She received her Juris Doctor from the Widener University School of Law.
Rebecca joins us today to discuss why businesses need to proactively work toward cybersecurity regardless of their size. She describes her career history and how she realized the importance of cybersecurity and data privacy for businesses. She explains how legal structures and cybersecurity go hand-in-hand, how laws catch up to the speed of tech development, and why cybersecurity isn’t just a matter of technology. Rebecca also recommends some steps small businesses can take today to build cybersecurity and underscores the value of understanding data.
This week on Breaking Barriers:
● Rebecca’s background and career in the cybersecurity industry
● The relationship between law and cybersecurity
● The importance of knowing niche laws that are keeping up with the speed of tech development
● What small business owners can do to protect themselves and their data
● Why small businesses are uniquely at data risk
● Common cybersecurity-related legal issues small businesses encounter
● What remediation looks like for a business owner involved in a data breach
● The common mistakes small business owners make with cybersecurity matters
● What justice looks like in keeping companies cyber secure
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started, please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Apple Podcasts | TuneIn | GooglePlay | Stitcher | Spotify
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media and join us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.