G’Sean Williams is the Senior Director and Head of Indirect Procurement at Floor & Décor. One of the country’s largest specialty retailers of hard surface flooring, Floor & Décor offers a broad range of in-stock selection of wood, stone, tile, and correlating tools as well as other flooring accessories. G’Sean is known as an industry speaker, negotiations leader, and expert in global commercial contracting. He is also the author of the book, The Dynamics of Leverage: 12 Unwritten Leadership Rules for Leadership, Life, and Lunch, where he describes the processes of tapping into your leadership qualities to influence the outcomes of relationships.
G’Sean joins us to discuss what it means to know your customers’ needs. He shares the ways the pandemic changed how we perceive supply and demand and describes the complexities of contracting small, diverse companies. G’Sean explains how the ability to lead projects is a must-have skill in today’s world and provides actionable advice for young workers who are having problems finding their way in the professional world.
Topics discussed in this episode of Breaking Barriers, Building Hire Ground:
- Describing Floor & Decor
- How the pandemic increased peoples’ awareness of supply chain and procurement
- What G’Sean’s team does from a supplier development perspective
- How to include more small, diverse services in businesses
- G’Sean’s experience of being in a business-inclusion group
- G’Sean’s thoughts on contracting diverse suppliers from a need basis
- Why G’Sean wanted to learn about materials experience, logistics, and finance coming out of school
- Why the ability to lead projects is underrated
- Data and why it’s the number one asset of every organization
- G’Sean’s advice to young professionals who feel lost in their chosen industries
Connect with G’Sean Williams:
- Floor & Decor
- Book: The Dynamics of Leverage: 12 Unwritten Leadership Rules for Leadership, Life, and Lunch
- G’Sean Williams on LinkedIn
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground.
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.