Vickie Irwin is the General Manager of Supplier Sustainability and Equity at Southern Company, one of the largest energy providers in the nation. Southern Company owns various electric utilities, natural gas distribution utilities, fiber optics, and wireless communications across multiple states. As General Manager, Vickie is responsible for building relationships that support the growth and development of small, diverse businesses. She is also a CPA and Project Management Professional who specializes in helping diverse companies partner with corporations.
Vickie describes her role as General Manager of Supplier Sustainability and Equity and discusses the different cores that make up supplier sustainability and equity. She explains how small businesses are driving half the jobs created in the US. She shares ways Southern Company promotes supplier diversity and discusses its supplier sustainability practices. Vickie also divulges the company’s ESG goals and what’s in store for Southern Company.
Topics discussed in this episode of Breaking Barriers, Building Hire Ground:
- Who Vickie is and what it means to support sustainability and equity at Southern Company
- The company’s ESG goals and how supplier diversity can support them
- Where Vickie learned about sustainability
- The importance of supplier sustainability in small and diverse businesses
- Why small and diverse businesses are critical for jobs creation
- The different areas of supplier sustainability and equity
- Other areas of growth the company can still expand on
- The most prominent creators of job growth in the industry today
- Examples of diverse companies that champion supplier sustainability and equity
Connect with Vickie Irwin:
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground.
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.