The recent large-scale internet outage, which caused major sites to be inaccessible to most users all over the world, was simply human error. Yet it made the world ask about site stability. More importantly, it made people wonder what would happen if the outage were the result of a cybersecurity breach, and what would happen if their data—social, medical, professional, government—fell into the wrong hands.
In this episode, we discuss cybersecurity and the questions a company should ask an underwriter if they want cyber insurance. We share related stories of cybersecurity breaches, especially those involving ransomware. We describe what companies can do to protect themselves from an attack as well as what cyber insurance really does after an attack has happened. We also explain the key differences between white hat and black hat hackers, and how an organization should handle the audit that comes after a security breach.
Topics discussed in this episode of Breaking Barriers, Building Hire Ground:
- Cybersecurity: what it is and why it’s important
- What cyber insurance really is for and what they do in the event of an attack
- The questions you should ask your underwriter when choosing cyber insurance
- Why data is a bank’s number one commodity
- Recent cybersecurity attacks in the US and why it can affect both big and small companies
- The difference between white hat and black hat hackers
- How best to handle a major audit due to a potential breach
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.