Paul Wilson, Jr. is the Area Director at the Small Business Development Center at the University of Georgia. The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a program that provides resources, training, and tools that aim to help small businesses succeed in their respective markets. As the Area Director, Paul is responsible for assisting the continued development, updating, and implementing of SBDC’s strategic plans. Before becoming the Area Director, Paul held a faculty position as a Business Consultant for SBDC, where he lectured business owners, managers, and budding entrepreneurs on their business plans, market feasibility, financial viability, operations management, and legal structures.
In this episode, Paul discusses the options small businesses have during the pandemic and how the SBDC can help them succeed. He describes his academic journey and the circumstances that led him to pursue a career in business consulting. He explains why he insists on writing ideas down and how it helps him see them to fruition from a strategic viewpoint. He shares the one moment he looks forward to seeing in all his classes and explains why the country needs small businesses for the economy to function. Paul also shares his spiritual side and how he never lost sight of it during the pandemic of 2020.
Topics discussed in this episode of Breaking Barriers, Building Hire Ground:
- Why Paul considered his academic route “traditional.”
- Where Paul found the motivation to start a career in business consulting.
- Defining the meaning of SBDC and what they do.
- The benefits of getting your strategies and ideas on paper.
- How writing changed Paul’s perspective in his career.
- How speaking engagements helped develop Paul’s talents and skills.
- What he always loved seeing in his classes.
- How COVID-19 affected small businesses and the challenges they encountered.
- Why small businesses are the engine of this country.
- The advantages of small businesses during an economic crisis.
Connect with Paul Wilson, Jr.:
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.